Welcome to Paula's Primary Classroom! This blog is where I share ideas for teaching and learning with families, friends and other early childhood educators. Please don't use the photos or text of this blog without permission, but please do use any ideas you find useful. Thank you for stopping by!

Monday, March 16, 2020

Spider songs and activities

With so many schools closing due to COVID-19, I've been thinking of parents and children who may be stuck at home trying to figure out how to teach and learn together.  Here's my way to help: Story Time Online with Paula.  I hope you find these videos and ideas helpful, and that you'll share them with others who might like them too!  Today let's learn about spiders!

You know about the Itsy Bitsy Spider, but do you know about the Great Big Hairy Spider?  My kiddos LOVE this silly variation!



How else could you rework it with the things you have on hand.... how about the big brown horse climbed up on the barn, or the knight in shining armor climbed up a castle wall?  Get silly and have fun making up your own versions with your children - they'll be using their imaginations and working on rhyming words!

For the preschool crowd, consider making an Itsy Bitsy Spider sensory bin like this one:


Of course, There's A Spider On the Floor is always fun:



Don't have any toy spiders to use as you sing the song?  I searched my toy box and couldn't find a single one this morning, so I made my own.  Here are simple instructions in case your child would like to make their own spider too!



How else could you follow up these spider songs? Here are a couple of my thoughts:



You may also like our Anansi the Spider activity,  these fun spider snacks and our Very Busy Spider retelling activity.

Thanks for stopping by!  If you have requests for songs or stories you'd like me to record, let me know, I'd love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment